Regular exercise will not compensate for improper nutrition. To maximise the benefit from a workout routine, we recommend similar attention is paid to a balanced healthy diet. Good nutrition is not a sacrifice but a matter of knowledge and common sense with the following points taken into consideration.
- Only eat when you are hungry. If you consume more calories than your body uses then it will gain weight.
- Focus on your food. Eat mindfully, slowly and avoid eating on the go or while watching TV.
- Healthy eating should be maintained over the long term. This should be based on natural whole foods, such as vegetables, lean protein and complex carbohydrates.
- Limit intake of sugar, alcohol, processed foods.
- Drink plenty of water before, during and after exercise.